Ever get upset, irritated, disturbed, disgruntled, raging mad, concerned, self-pitying, maybe even jealous, etc. when you see people doing stuff that’s wrong and watch them get away with it? How come they never have negative consequences? How come they never get arrested? How come their friends and family never realize what they’re doing? Why do their lives look so easy and good despite what they’re doing? Why does the media never bring to light what they’re doing? How come everyone around them is clueless about their wrongdoing? How come even God is letting them get away with it? Ever have those kind of thoughts and feelings? I confess to you I get upset about this kind of thing sometimes, and this is what the Lord reminds me:
• We should make sure we continually purify our hearts and get out of them anything sinful which includes pride, jealous, anger, judgment, etc. We should also repent for anything that comes out of our mouths or anything in our actions we do in response and/or relation to others’ wrongdoing
• We are not to judge and condemn
• We are to love and forgive and be merciful
• Vengeance belongs to Him not us
• He sees everything everyone does wrong
• We will all stand before God’s judgment seat and have to give an account of our lives them included
• Those who do not repent on this earth and turn to Christ as Lord and believe in His death and resurrection will spend forever in hell and the lake of fire for eternity apart from Him no matter what they or we think they are getting away with on this earth
• Those who follow Jesus on this earth but are caught up in wrongdoing still need to repent and can lose out on rewards God promises His followers in heaven
• We should seek the Lord to see if He desires to use us to pray for the people, talk to the people about Him, confront them in love with the truth about Christ, point them to the Bible, encourage them to turn to Him, etc.
• We should look at our own hearts and lives and make changes we need to make and repent in the areas of our lives we need repentance regardless of what others do and don’t do
• We need to focus on the Lord and the Bible and God’s will for our lives and not on them. We need to return our focus to Him when we find our focus has once again drifted away
Friend, I believe there is more than this. This is just the beginning. This is just some of what the Lord leads me to consider when I find myself being upset about others’ wrongdoing. The rest? Read the Bible daily as I do, and may the Lord lead you to it!
Perhaps you will be led to look up the Bible verses that go with the list I have shared with you here. And I hope you will pray about this. May we be careful to not get caught up in this as I so often have. May we be careful instead to be caught up in loving the Lord and loving others as ourselves and going forth on the pathway the Lord sets before us!
Father, please forgive all of us for when we allow ourselves to be consumed with others’ sins. Please, God, help us to walk according to your ways. Lord, help us to trust you to deal with people who are doing wrong. May we not be prideful, dear Lord. We all need your forgiveness. Lead us to repentance concerning this when we need it. And, Lord, for every person around the world caught up in wrongdoing, please dear God, lead them to repentance and faith in you as Lord. And please use us as your laborers to go out and point others to you, dear God. For you are Lord forever! Our only hope! Thank you, Lord, for helping us with this. AMEN!
“Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.” Romans 14:4
“And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me remove the speck that is in your eye,’ when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother’s eye.” Luke 6:41-42
“Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord.” Romans 12:19
“Do not fret because of evildoers, Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, And wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good…Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass…Do not fret—it only causes harm. For evildoers shall be cut off; But those who wait on the LORD, They shall inherit the earth. For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more; Indeed, you will look carefully for his place, But it shall be no more. But the meek shall inherit the earth, And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace. The wicked plots against the just, And gnashes at him with his teeth. The Lord laughs at him, For He sees that his day is coming. The wicked have drawn the sword And have bent their bow, To cast down the poor and needy, To slay those who are of upright conduct. Their sword shall enter their own heart, And their bows shall be broken. A little that a righteous man has Is better than the riches of many wicked. For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, But the LORD upholds the righteous. The LORD knows the days of the upright, And their inheritance shall be forever…But the wicked shall perish; And the enemies of the LORD, Like the splendor of the meadows, shall vanish. Into smoke they shall vanish away…I have been young, and now am old; Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken,…For the LORD loves justice,…” Psalm 37:1-28
I encourage you to read the whole Psalm 37 in the Bible and to make the commitment I did some years ago to read the Bible daily no matter what – and to live by it!