“Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee…So Abram departed.” Gen. 12:1-4 KJV
“…Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.” Acts 9:6 KJV (Jesus speaking to Paul)
Abraham and the apostle Paul may have lived a long time apart, but they had a bunch of things exceedingly important in common when it came to their awesome work for the Lord:
- They both loved, honored, and obeyed God even if they both didn’t start that way. (Paul started off persecuting Christians).
- When God said GO to them, they both went. They didn’t need to know the details of where they were being sent, what exactly God would call them to do, how everything would unfold, where they would stay. They didn’t need a five-year plan or any plan at all. Their trust was not in themselves nor in others; their trust was in the Lord.
- They both faced opposition but didn’t turn back and quit because of the opposition; they remained steadfast in the work to which the Lord had called them.
- They both were willing to make great sacrifices for the Lord. They were willing to sacrifice anything and everything even if it came down to their very lives.
- They both are remembered by countless people worldwide even to this very day not because they were extraordinary men; they were not! They both are remembered and renowned today because they were simple human beings like you and I are who gave their hearts and lives to serve an extraordinary God from whom they would not steal the limelight and glory but to whom they would give all glory. Through them countless people throughout time would come to saving faith and devoted their lives to the Lord Jesus Christ!
In these five similarities between Abraham and Paul are FIVE VITAL INGREDIENTS TO SERVING GOD.
- Love, honor, and obey Him.
- Go where and when He sends you even without a specific plan if He chooses not to give you one.
- Be steadfast even when opposition comes.
- Sacrifice anything and everything for God.
- Don’t try to be extraordinary or take God’s glory. Remember He is extraordinary and be sure to give Him all the glory!