365 BLESSINGS is a devotional book I recently wrote that will soon be available in print by the grace of the Lord for the glory of the Lord!
“I waited patiently for the Lord;
And He inclined to me,
And heard my cry.
He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the Lord.
Blessed is that man who makes the Lord his trust,
And does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
Many, O Lord my God, are Your wonderful works
Which You have done;
And Your thoughts toward us
Cannot be recounted to You in order;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They are more than can be numbered.
Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”
I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness
In the great assembly;
Indeed, I do not restrain my lips,
O Lord, You Yourself know.
I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth
From the great assembly.
Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O Lord;
Let Your lovingkindness and Your truth continually preserve me.
For innumerable evils have surrounded me;
My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;
They are more than the hairs of my head;
Therefore my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;
O Lord, make haste to help me!
Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion
Who seek to destroy my life;
Let them be driven backward and brought to dishonor
Who wish me evil.
Let them be confounded because of their shame,
Who say to me, “Aha, aha!”
Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;
Let such as love Your salvation say continually,
“The Lord be magnified!”
But I am poor and needy;
Yet the Lord thinks upon me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
Do not delay, O my God.” Psalm 40
Seventeen blessings in a single psalm? Absolutely! Honestly, you will likely find plenty more than 17 even in this single psalm if you dig deeper. The Bible is so full of blessings a lifetime wouldn’t be enough to find them all, would it? Just look at – and be thankful – for some of the blessings in this particular psalm.
* We can and should wait on the Lord, and He will hear us!
* When we cry out to Him with humility, with repentance, and in faith, He will bring us out of the pit of discouragement, despair, hopelessness, etc.
* He will give us something to sing about – HIMSELF and His greatness – in PRAISE!
* He blesses those who trust in Him and do what is right!
* His “wonderful works” are endless, aren’t they?
* He teaches us to desire to please Him by doing His will!
* We can read the Bible and fill our hearts with His Word – His law, His truth, wisdom, promises, etc.!
* We are blessed when we tell others of the Lord and do not hold back proclaiming Him and His greatness!
* It is a blessing not to hide but to declare to others His faithfulness, salvation, lovingkindness, and truth!
* God’s mercy, lovingkindness, and truth are without measure in their awesomeness!
* We can be overwhelmed by our sin and its consequences, but the Lord will forgive us when we repent! And we can cry out to Him for His mercy and deliverance!
* The Lord will deal with our enemies! We don’t need to seek vengeance nor should we! We need to forgive and hand them off to the Lord!
* Those who seek the Lord have reason to rejoice and be glad and celebrate for the greatest joy of all is the Lord! Everlasting joy we find in Jesus!
* We can magnify and exalt and lift up and proclaim the Lord and find happiness in doing so!
* When we humble ourselves and confess our poverty and need, we are blessed for we can be confident the Lord cares for us, loves us, thinks of us, and desires to provide for us!
* He is our help and delivers us!
* As patient as we must be in waiting on the Lord for He is the one we need, we can cry out to Him in utter desperation and beg Him to hurry and answer our cries – and rest assured He will answer when we humble ourselves before Him! In His timing, of course, for His glory, absolutely!