I absolutely love repentance. I consider it an amazing gift from God for which we should be infinitely thankful. I love when God by His Holy Spirit shows me I am doing something wrong, leads me to a place of true sorrow over my sin, makes clear I am to seek His forgiveness, and lovingly leads me to turn from my sin and turn wholeheartedly to Him and His will for me.
Here are the 10 reasons I love repentance, and my heart’s cry is that God will use this message to cause you to love repentance and to make it a fundamental part of your relationship with God as I believe should be the case for us all.
- God chastens those He loves.
- God leads us to repentance by His lovingkindness.
- God offers mercy and forgiveness to those who turn from their sins and turn to Him.
- God wants us to have a forever relationship with Him not go to hell and the lake of fire.
- God wants us to have an intimate relationship with Him which we can’t have when we’re living in unrepented sin.
- God wants to draw us ever closer to Himself.
- God wants to bless us and for us to have an abundant life now and forever not suffer the consequences of our sins.
- God doesn’t want to leave us in the messiness, muckiness, and muddiness and ugliness of sin but wants to clean us up and have us enjoy His wondrous fellowship, and it feels so wonderfully cleansing and freeing to repent and get cleaned up.
- God is so patient and merciful with us He has every right and reason to give up on us but instead continually grows us, tests, us, teaches us, purifies us, and makes us more like Himself.
- God wants us to have fruitful lives whereby through abiding in Jesus and living in obedience to Him we produce the fruit of righteousness, the fruit of His Holy Spirit (Gal. 5:22 and Ephesians 5:9), and the fruit of repentance (Luke 3:8), and the fruit of a live lived for Him. Lots and lots of God-glorifying fruit!
Please, friend, whenever you need to repent, when the Holy Spirit of God places on your heart it is necessary, cry out to God – and repent! Hallelujah! Glory be to God for His mercy, AMEN!
“And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: “MY SON, DO NOT DESPISE THE CHASTENING OF THE LORD, NOR BE DISCOURAGED WHEN YOU ARE REBUKED BY HIM; FOR WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE CHASTENS, AND SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES.” If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.” Hebrews 12:5-11 NKJV