I had just written a message telling people to purify themselves as the Lord had instructed me to do when He gave me this message to write about purification. Why would He give me another one? This time He apparently wanted me to bring to light that you and I need to purify EVERYTHING! Let me give you some examples:
Our hearts, thoughts, feelings, motives, actions, finances, what we watch, what we read, what we listen to, our entertainment, our hobbies, households, relationships, lifestyle, dreams, attitudes, countenance, words, habits, choices, decisions, responses to others, routines, care of our bodies, eating, what we do with our free time, our relationship with the Lord most importantly, and on and on!
Friend, do your very best each and every day to make sure that what you think, say, and do is PLEASING TO THE LORD. The best way to know if it is pleasing to the Lord is to read the Bible daily; to spend time alone with Him daily praying, seeking Him, listening, learning, growing, hearing Him, and obeying Him; and having people in your life that love and follow the Lord to walk alongside you to love you, encourage you, pray for you, and help and support you in following Jesus.
The Holy Spirit of God who lives inside His followers will bring to our attention anything impure that needs to go. The Lord will also use the Bible and others to bring to our attention impurities that need to be gotten rid of. And He will use any other means He desires!
We can’t purify the world around us, but most assuredly we can purify our own hearts and lives within it.
This is not to be done on a one-time basis or a once-in-a-while basis or even a set-in-stone-certain-time-of-day daily basis. We should be continually purifying ourselves before the Lord and for the Lord when the need arises and as He so leads us.
May these questions help you as you go forth. This list is not in any way exhaustive. It is just to help you in considering your ongoing purification for Christ!
• Do you have any relationships displeasing to God? Are you in a romantic relationship with someone who is not a follower of Jesus?
• Are you living with someone in a romantic relationship and/or engaged in a sexual relationship with that person outside of marriage?
• Are you using your mouth to complain, be negative, gossip, and speak poorly of others?
• Are you mistreating people and/or animals in any way?
• Are you taking poor care of the body God has given you?
• Are you spending money on things displeasing to the Lord?
• Are you spending your free time doing things that are not glorifying to God?
• Are you spending time worrying each and every day?
• Are your friends people who draw you away from the Lord and influence you to live in a manner that is rebellious toward Him?
• Do you have any habits that do not line up with what the Lord makes clear in His Bible is necessary to please and honor Him?
• Are you praying to God but not reading the Bible, not obeying Him, not spending time loving, praising, worshiping, and adoring Him? Is your relationship with Him really all if not mostly about you and not about Him?
• Are you living your life according to your will and the world’s ways instead of living it for Him according to His will and ways?
• Is there anything in your heart and life that does not please the Lord and ultimately bring Him glory?
Please don’t be discouraged! This message is not to bring dismay, shame, and condemnation! It is to bring to light that ALL OF US need to continually purify ourselves for Christ. And that when we find anything in our hearts and lives that is not pleasing, honoring, and glorifying to God, we need to purify ourselves! We need to let it go, make necessary changes, and/or do whatever the Lord shows us in His strength for His glory. And we of course need to seek and receive His forgiveness whenever necessary!
Does this sound intimidating? Overwhelming? Impossible even? I learned to do this some time ago, and it is an absolutely AWESOME and WONDERFUL process. Hard? Sometimes, exceedingly, yes! But BEAUTIFUL. Because in purifying ourselves, and in living to love, serve, please, honor, and glorify God, we draw ever closer to Him, grow in His image, and more and more enjoy the amazingness of as His followers being in His forever fellowship and diving deeper and deeper into loving intimacy with Him as Lord, as Father, as King, as forever God, AMEN!
Purify yourself! Purify yourself! Yes, do! Continually!
Lord, thank you! Never thought I would thank you for something that can be as tough as purifying myself. Nor for giving me a pretty hard message to deliver. But I say, thank you Lord! For this message in my estimate anyway is an opportunity to bring to light the vital importance of not believing in you from a distance, not following you from way far behind you, but of walking right there with you in closer and closer fellowship with you. Help us to purify ourselves, oh Lord, AMEN! In EVERYTHING, oh Lord, as you lead us, oh yes!
“But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.” 2 Timothy 2:20-21
“Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.” 1 John 3:2-3