In the devil’s mission to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10), among other things he tries to stop people from repenting and believing in and receiving Jesus Christ as Lord for the promise of everlasting life. He also tries to stop those of us who have already committed our lives to the Lord from growing closer to Him. He also tries to stop us from being totally devoted to the Lord. He also tries to stop us from obeying the Lord. He also tries to stop us from fulfilling God’s will for our lives. He also tries to stop us from loving and serving others in Christ’s name. He also tries to stop us from spreading the Good News message about Jesus being the one true God and the only way to everlasting life. He also tries to stop those who believe in the Lord but have backslidden and need to repent and return to the Lord from doing so. He also tries to stop us from experiencing and enjoying a deeply intimate, ever-growing, personal relationship with the Lord. He also tries to stop us from staying focused on God and His will for our lives. The devil sure does a lot of trying to stop us in his despicably awful mission, doesn’t he? Yes, he does! He sure has in my life. How about yours?
In my own experience, the devil has been on an all-out mission for years to try to stop me from pressing on in my ministry work helping people to find and forever faithfully follow the Lord. Regardless of whatever the devil may be trying to stop in your life, I want to share with you six things that have helped me enormously over the years in facing his tactics, ploys, plans, and attacks. Keeping in mind that the most important for us all is that we are seeking and following the Lord, filled with and being led by His Holy Spirit, and reading and living by the Bible including the many verses concerning winning our battles.
• DETERMINATION. I determine not to let the devil stop me from fulfilling God’s will for me and continue forth in the Lord’s strength in doing whatever He has called me to do
• PRAYER. I pray my heart out to the Lord and spend time alone with Him daily seeking Him, reading the Bible, waiting on Him, hearing Him, and obeying Him along with praising and worshiping Him
• THE BATTLE PLAN. Based on all the battles in the Bible in which those who were victorious always looked to the Lord for His battle plan for the specific battle they were in and followed it, I go to the Lord and seek His battle plan and help in each battle
• FELLOW SOLDIERS. I not only call on my commander-in-chief the Lord above everything and everyone else, but I call out to my fellows soldiers – other followers of Jesus who love me, pray for me, encourage me, help me with the Bible, and are themselves strongly grounded in their relationships with the Lord and in reading and living by the Bible
• OBEDIENCE & REPENTANCE. I strive to obey the Lord and to repent whenever the Holy Spirit shows me I need to as I work each and every day to purify myself and be a clean vessel for the Lord to live in and through
• INTIMACY WITH THE LORD. I draw ever closer to the Lord as He draws close to me and make my highest priority in life loving and serving and honoring and adoring and praising and worshiping and singing to and trusting in and resting in and placing my hope in and putting my expectation in and spending time alone with and glorifying the Lord and reading the Bible and living by it knowing full well I have a long, long way to go in all this but am committed to learn how to do so!
I have been tempted to quit a zillion times over the years given how many battles I have faced and how intense they have been when it comes to the devil trying to stop me from loving and serving the Lord with all my heart and from fulfilling His calling for me. But the Lord has given me the love, mercy, grace, peace, hope, joy, strength, wisdom, discernment, fellowship, comfort, compassion, patience, kindness, power, help, support, provision, resources, guidance, teaching, protection, shelter, refuge, rescue, healing, freedom, wholeness, deliverance, and absolutely all I have needed day by day to live by faith in the fulness of His blessed love and will for me.
My long-time pastor who went on to be with the Lord helped me years ago to see that Jesus says in the Bible that we “might” [“might in the KJV and “may” in the NKJV] have more abundant life. This implies it’s not definite. I believe with all my heart the significance here is that it is our choice to commit ourselves utterly to the Lord, to receive by faith all He has for us, and to follow Him day by day and forevermore.
I choose life. Abundant life. The life God has for me. The life Jesus died on the cross and was raised from the dead so I could have. The life of following Jesus. Of living for Him. Of being in His company now and forevermore. I choose not to let the devil stop me.
“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may [“might” in KJV] have it more abundantly.” John 10:10
I love to remember that the same Spirit who resurrected Jesus lives inside those of us who follow Him. The devil is defeated because of Jesus. We can listen to his taunts and fall prey to his temptations and quit because of his attacks – OR WE CAN PUT OUR TRUST IN JESUS AND BELIEVE HE HAS ALL WE NEED TO BE VICTORIOUS IN HIM, THROUGH HIM, AND FOR HIM.
“But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.” Romans 8:11
Those who win battles and wars have victories to celebrate. There is no greater victory than to enjoy the reward of being in intimate fellowship with the Lord forever and ever, AMEN!
Please don’t let the devil stop you! Turn from your sins, believe Jesus Christ is Lord and died on the cross to pay your sin penalty and was raised from the dead, devote yourself utterly to God and His ways, receive His forgiveness and everlasting life with Him, spend time alone with Him daily, call upon His name, reach out to fellow Christ followers for love, prayer, and support, and press on in fulfilling God’s will for your life. And enjoy the presence of and fellowship with the Lord all along the way – and forevermore, AMEN!
“For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.” 1 John 5:4